San José State recognizes that learning occurs both inside and outside the classroom. Campus life encompasses participation in formal and informal programs, services, and experiences primarily outside the classroom that foster personal development, engaged citizenship, a commitment to social justice, and student success. Campus life is enhanced by promoting the available avenues for involvement and providing quality opportunities for students to make connections with their peers, faculty, staff, and the surrounding community.
A prime example of quality connections occurs in SJSU Living Learning Communities, which bring students together who have similar interests. Programming is designed around student interests and often has a component tied to an academic department.
Opportunities for student leadership and involvement abound. Student Involvement oversees orientation and transition programs; fraternity and sorority life; student organizations and leadership development; as well as advising for student government. In addition, more than 300 student organizations spanning the range of cultural, political, professional or academic, social, sports and more provide students with numerous avenues to participate in a rich campus experience.
Cultural CrossroadsSan José State is the number one supplier of education, engineering, computer science and business graduates to Silicon Valley, the world’s high tech capital. The oldest and one of the largest universities in the CSU system, SJSU attracts students from throughout California, the United States and 100 countries of the world. SJSU reached cultural pluralism, with no ethnic majority, in 1993 and remains an example of diversity for other universities.
AlumniAbout 80 percent of San José State’s nearly 200,000 alumni of record live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The other 20 percent are scattered around the globe, with concentrations in Southern California, Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and New York City. More than 200 SJSU graduates have founded, co-founded, served or serve as senior executives or officers of public and private companies reporting annual sales between $40 million and $26 billion.
On Campus: There are more than 3,400 students who live in campus-sponsored housing and an estimated 5,000 additional students who live within walking distance or an easy bike-ride to SJSU. Note: On-campus housing is required of all new frosh who graduate from a high school outside of a 30-mile radius of SJSU.
Residence halls Costs are approximately $10,500.00 -11,470.00 per academic year, double occupancy with meals.
Campus Village Apartments Rents are approximately $9,660.00 per year, including utilities, for single occupancy, without meals.
International House Located just off campus, the I-House is home to U.S. and international students. Please visit www.sjsu.edu/ihouse to get more information about average costs.
360 South Eleventh Street,
San José, CA 95112-2217
Sorority and Fraternity HousingCosts vary according to meal plans, membership fees, and other services provided Fraternity average costs: $2,400 to $4,200 per academic year Sorority average costs: $3,000 to $5,000 per academic year Recruitment occurs in the fall semester.
Contact: (408) 924-5950
Off Campus:Private off-campus housing includes apartments and houses and the monthly rents range from $1,800 to $2,500 a month, depending on number of bedrooms.
Contact: (408) 924-6190
San Jose State University All residence halls are coed.