Accreditation and State Regulatory Authorizations

CSU Accreditation

The California State University is accredited by the Senior College Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). WASC is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. This federally-recognized body provides assurance to students, parents and all stakeholders that CSU meets clear quality standards for educational and financial performance,

State Authorization

State authorization is a longstanding requirement in the Higher Education Act that requires institutions to be authorized in the state in which they are located as a condition for eligibility to receive Title IV Federal student aid. 

The U.S. Department of Education continues to review and update the regulations for state authorization of online education. If an institution offers postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a state in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to state jurisdiction as determined by the state, the institution must meet any state requirements for it to be legally offering distance or correspondence education in that state.

The CSU Chancellor’s Office serves as a resource for campuses seeking approvals in compliance with state laws in every state. If authorization or licensure is necessary or becomes necessary, individual campuses must seek the appropriate approvals.

CSU Student Internal Complaint Process & Contact Information

Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule, every institution of higher education is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information for the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state. 

Students are encouraged to utilize the California State University's internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with a state agency. (See the CSU's internal complaints process.)

Should a student wish to file a complaint in their home state, they may select their state contact from the "Consumer Protection State Contacts" list.